Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Wednesday 16 September 2015

13th September: Forward planning

Thought for the day: Is there such a thing as backwards planning?

Anyway, as summer rapidly disappears into the distance, if the 2 weeks of sun in July counts as a summer, the time for planning my winter racing calendar begins.

I had already sorted one race for next summer in the guise of the Lakeland 50, so my runs starting in the new year will need to take in to account this looming on the horizon.

At the start of this year I set a goal of a sub 4 hour marathon by 2015's end, so the final marathon of the year (just before Christmas), is the flat course of the Portsmouth Coastal, which has previously been a PB for me. To make this a reality I am hoping to put some strong race times down in advance as well as taking-on the flat ‘Thames Meander’ course in early November for a ‘practice’ in the lead-up to it.

I have entered for a second time the Clarendon Marathon, a point-to-point from Salisbury to Winchester in early October that is relatively flat for a trail marathon and a race I want to put in a stronger time than that of 2 years ago so I will be viewing this as 'speed-work' with a sub 5 hour time, the closer to 4:30 the better.

Following on from Clarendon at the end of the month is the recommencing of the Coastal Trail Series, of which I am a big fan. The one recurring race on their calendar that I have yet to run is the 'Suffolk' which is on the coast around the RSPB reserve of Minsmere where the BBC films its 'Springwatch' wildlife series. Aside from me completing the 'full set' of the CTS races with a finish, its location of East Anglia ensures the course will again be relatively flat and a good chance of recording a faster time in anticipation once more of the attempt at the sub 4 hour marathon time.

After this, the races get harder with the CTS events on the 'Gower' in November and the as beautiful as it is brutal 'Dorset' in early December, where if I manage to beat my PB times for both I should be in fine fettle for Portsmouth.

Finger’s crossed and injury permitting with this quite intensive close to the year I will be entering 2016 with 50 marathons under my belt - not too shabby considering my first was just 27 months ago!

Into January and the new CTS event at Dover provides an unknown test for me - previously their January race was in Anglesey but this has been dropped from their calendar, which for me is a shame as I really enjoyed that trail, even if it was a pain in the arse to get to! At least I have been able to run it in good weather as well as in a continual downpour and savoured the views from the top of the mountain.

February has the always testing South Devon, March sees me in Sussex and April a longed-for return to Exmoor and a trip to Pembrokeshire at the end of the month.

There will no doubt be other races spattered between these (Steyning and Pendine to name a potential pair) but come May my focus turns to preparation for the Lakeland 50.

I have entered Endurancelife's debut running of the 'Jurassic Quarter' course, a pretty tough 44 mile ultra over the 'Jurassic Coast' that will provide a stern warm-up test for me.

As yet June is blank and the final warm-up in the first week of July will be the Ultimate Trails 55k ultra. Whilst this is in the Lake District, it is over different hills to those in the Lakeland 50 and is a touch easier on the total ascent over its duration. At least with these two races I should be relatively well prepared for July's end... So long as I can dodge injury until then (fingers well and truly crossed!)... I've just got to keep my eyes open for a run in June that will be a good work-out for me.

Eat pies.
Drink beer.
Run far.



1 comment: