Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Monday 6 February 2012

22nd January: Rehab

Well at last my lardy arse has been able to move... I still cannot walk distances of any description without pain, but at least I now know I can survive cycling and swimming.

As a result I have committed to a year's membership at my local leisure centre - The Hart Leisure Centre for the sole purpose of swimming. They run a deal for £26 a week you get unlimited swimming... Now their cost for an individual session is £3.80 so by going just 7 times in a month then you are financially up on the deal!.. With my plans for doing the sprint triathlon there it makes sense for me to get used to swimming as it's something I am pants at, and be able to post a time over the 400m that is not too embarrassing in it's duration.

I've been twice this week with the intention of building it up to once a day during the working week and swimming a constant 500m, building to doing it without a break. At present I am stopping for breathers every 100m, and this week I hope to stop for breathers every 150m. Once I am comfortably doing the 500m without stopping, then I will be working on my breathing and technique so as to improve my speed overall.

Seeing as the centre is only a matter of 6 miles away I am cycling there and back to give me the extra continual time of exercise for endurance training. If I can form this positive habit in the mornings then once I am able to jog again it will leave the evenings to be out and running after work.

I would love to be fit enough for the CTS South Devon on 18th Feb but I am being urged from those that know me (thanks Craig and Craig!) - and know what I am like for being impetuous with regards to injury come-back to write it off as even in the unlikely event I am fit enough, I will have put no miles through my legs in preparation.

With the weather being clear and a bit of a breeze about I took the opportunity of getting some miles under my belt on the bike on Saturday. I took a familiar route out in to the countryside along back-roads for the majority, just me, the road, podcasts on the iPod for company and all the wildlife. It was great watching a herd of deer running across a field, getting close to a Kestrel as it perched in a small tree close to the roadside. I did the 16 miles in a decent time bearing in mind that I was not pushing myself hard. I can't wait to be able to get out running again though... At least being able to cycle again gets the wind through my hair once more. Sitting around being an enforced couch potato was doing my nut in!

Went and watched the guys play footy this morning, they won 2-1 in a cup semi final, giving the oppo the lead with an OG before scoring 2 penalties in 2 minutes for fouls on the same guy in the same place... The ref bottled giving a 3rd penalty a minute later instead giving a foul on the edge of the box when it was a yard or 2 inside from our viewpoint on the other side of the pitch! It made me realise how much I want to be playing again, but realistically this injury is wiping out the rest of my season as there are only 4 scheduled league games to go :(

No comments:

Post a Comment