Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Tuesday 24 January 2012

16th October: Garb

Running is something that I always have just gone out and done and aside from trainers i have never invested in bespoke running equipment, similarly with my cycling get-up. It has always amused me watching the village joggers in their expensive gear staggering around the block breathing out of their arses come January 2nd. My get-up has tended to be a more 'traditional' affair: a knackered holed old cotton t-shirt, a footy shirt on top, Footy shorts and footy socks. In the cold of winter I will top that with a pair of knackered old gloves and a thick cotton drill-top to keep the worst of the cold out.


As I look into this malarky more and more I am being sucked in to the thought of equipping myself with proper running gear.


I am not a fan of the feeling of man-made fibres against my skin but it seems whatever you look at for running is polyester/ nylon based to enable the wicking away of moisture, basically the same material as the footy shirts I sport. I realise the cotton t-shirts I wear end up stuck to me after running, so perhaps a quicker drying base-layer is the change to make... Or just keep a tight cotton tee under the footy shirt.


Having seen all the 'running tights' out there, I struggle to believe they do anything other than make you look like a complete tool. They claim to offer great support to all muscles etc. But do they? They just look like cheap nasty leggings for men... I'm going with the old principal of larding on the vaseline over the legs if it's just too damned cold.


On the other hand having suffered a nasty hip flexor injury last footy season I had to wear compression shorts for support as the muscles built-up strength. Since then I've taken to still wearing them during games and for longer runs and bike-rides and they do seem to improve performance and lessen muscle fatigue, so I reckon if I do end up wearing anything different it will be these bad-boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment