Running for the pies

Running for the pies

Sunday 9 October 2011

3rd October: The first day of training

I told the good lady wife of my plans, my challenge for next year... I was told in no uncertain terms I was barking mad and why would anybody wish to embark on such a challenge. However the Long-Suffering Suzanne (LSS) has given me her full support and backing, so long as she is not expected to join-in and that I am not broken at the end of the year!

Suzanne is long-suffering having been dragged up a mountain in a gale with driving uphill rain in the past... At least I did propose to her on the summit to make it worthwhile... And for our honeymoon I managed to persuade her to go up and down Ben Nevis. At least after Ben Nevis all other peaks will be easier, or so I keep telling her! Here's a photo of LSS on the summit of Ben Nevis getting something warm and wet inside her!


The reaction of others has been similar to that of LSS, initially the retort upon being told of 'why' mostly born of incredulity about running 12 marathons in total when 99% of people will never even run one in a lifetime.

Well the temperature here is an unseasonal mid 20's so I decided tonight to just go for 30 mins on the elliptical, something light to break myself in. LSS reckons that anything over 5 mins on setting 2 of 8 is torture, and I have it set on max! She does have a point being a mere slip of a lass and if like me you're 15 stone of idiot then there's plenty of weight to turn them pedals around. Having said this I thought I would have my weigh-in and it transpires I'm 14st 10lb so here's the start marker. With any luck by the time of marathon 1's arrival I will be weighing in at the light weight 14 1/2 st!

No comments:

Post a Comment